Before she had kids, Uhl looked down on one parent in the park for offering chocolate milk, another in Kohl’s who didn’t remove a tantruming child. Three offspring of her own later, she issued a grand mea culpa: “I’m sorry. I know better now.” Uhl went on to catalog her own shortcomings: “I forget to brush my daughter’s hair. I use the fast-food drive-thru. I bribe.” In this highly-shared apologia on Huffington Post, Uhl’s final revelation was that the only essential parenting requirement is to love and protect children from harm. “Everything else doesn’t matter. There are children who are abused, who go to bed hungry, who have never known love, and four years ago I was judging the toddler who watched an hour of “Sesame Street”?
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
Top 10 Opinions
- 10. ‘Apologies to the Parents I Judged Four Years Ago’ by Kara Gebhart Uhl
- 9. ‘Guilty As Charged’ by Dan Cathy, president Chick-fil-A
- 8. ‘Let Detroit Go Bankrupt’ by Mitt Romney
- 7. ‘Facts, 360 BC – AD 2012’ by Rex W. Huppke
- 6. ‘Why Women Still Can’t Have It All’ by Anne-Marie Slaughter
- 5. ‘A Girl’s Courage Challenges Us To Act’ by Laura Bush
- 4. ‘I Was Right About That Strange Jobs Report’ by Jack Welch
- 3. ‘Give Women The Power To Determine Their Future’ by Melinda Gates
- 2. ‘Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs’ by Greg Smith
- 1. ‘You’re Not Special’ by David McCullough Jr.