Who knew chicken sandwiches could get so political? In a year in which President Obama voiced, for the first time, his support of same-sex marriage, this issue’s biggest battle was fought over fast-food magnate Dan Cathy’s belief in the biblical definition of family as a man and his wife. Activists called for a nation-wide boycott of the Chick-fil-A’s 1,608 outlets, and a media storm ensued. Cathy, a Baptist, stuck his ground, telling the Baptist Press that “as an organization, we can operate on Biblical principles. So that is what we claim to be.”
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
Top 10 Opinions
- 10. ‘Apologies to the Parents I Judged Four Years Ago’ by Kara Gebhart Uhl
- 9. ‘Guilty As Charged’ by Dan Cathy, president Chick-fil-A
- 8. ‘Let Detroit Go Bankrupt’ by Mitt Romney
- 7. ‘Facts, 360 BC – AD 2012’ by Rex W. Huppke
- 6. ‘Why Women Still Can’t Have It All’ by Anne-Marie Slaughter
- 5. ‘A Girl’s Courage Challenges Us To Act’ by Laura Bush
- 4. ‘I Was Right About That Strange Jobs Report’ by Jack Welch
- 3. ‘Give Women The Power To Determine Their Future’ by Melinda Gates
- 2. ‘Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs’ by Greg Smith
- 1. ‘You’re Not Special’ by David McCullough Jr.